Saturday, July 2, 2011

How Murky Was That Pool Water???

I don't get this story.  A woman goes swimming in a swimming pool located in Fall River, Massachusetts.  She ended up drowning in the pool.  And nobody noticed the dead body in the frickin' pool for two days because the water was "murky and cloudy":
The Bristol County district attorney's office said the body of Marie Joseph was submerged at the bottom of the 12-foot-deep end of the pool from Sunday afternoon until Tuesday evening.

Joseph, 36, was a hotel housekeeper in Newport, R.I. She was from Haiti and had five children. Her body was discovered after it floated to the surface shortly before some youngsters sneaked into the pool for a clandestine swim Tuesday night.

The medical examiner's office has determined the manner of her death to be accidental and the cause to be asphyxiation by drowning.

The probe shows the water in the Fall River pool was murky from the time the pool opened for the season last Saturday. Visibility tests conducted Wednesday revealed a diver couldn't be seen at a depth of 3 1/2 to 4 feet below the surface of the water.
Granted, I don't go swimming as much as I should.  But I've seen a pool or twelve in my lifetime.  I can understand a delay with noticing the body on days when the pool is super-packed... to a point.  There are always lifeguards keeping watch over swimmers.  Also, there comes a time when the crowd gets out of the pool and the lifeguards and pool staff have a clear, unencumbered view of the pool water. 

I have never seen a swimming pool where you couldn't see the floor.  This case makes no sense to me.  No sense at all.

No comments: