Thursday, September 15, 2011

Another Mountain Lion Spotted in Iowa City

Earlier this month, I shared a story about a couple cougars that were spotted by numerous people at 7:30 AM near one of the local elementary schools.  Today, the Press-Citizen reported a new cougar sighting near the First Avenue Hy-Vee, which is across town from the first sighting:
A cougar sighting reported Wednesday afternoon in east Iowa City is the third sighting of a cougar or mountain lion in the area in two weeks. Iowa City police received a report about 4:12 p.m. Wednesday of a cougar walking in a small wooded area on the east side of South First Avenue near Hy-Vee and the bike path along Ralston Creek.

Animal control and police officers responded and searched the area but did not locate the animal. Officers from the agencies continue to patrol the area, said Misha Goodman, director of animal control and the Iowa City Animal Care and Adoption Center... Goodman said she usually receives reports of sightings several times a year.
I live near one of the local creeks, so I'm more mindful than some of wild animals roaming the streets of our little city.  Since moving here, I've seen everything from squirrels and rabbits to owls, eagles, and foxes.  Fortunately, I haven't seen any mountain lions. 

I worry about urban predators coming after my dogs, particularly little Ms. Lion.  But maybe I should be a bit more nervous about my kids.  It's worthwhile nothing that each of these sightings took place either immediately before or after school.

UPDATE ON 09/16/11: Here's a bit of related silliness coming out of the University of Iowa.  After Wednesday's mountain lion sighting, UIowaPolitics tweeted: "I didn't know Bachmann was in town. Bah-dum-bum."  It was a silly post and way less worse than many that I've read about Bachmann, but the UI pretty quickly went into damage control mode.  The UI later removed the tweet and replaced it with the following message: "The University of Iowa apologizes for an inappropriate post to this feed earlier today."  To their credit, Bachmann and her people released the following response: "When you are 55 years old, have had 5 children, and been foster mother to 23 children, Michele is grateful when people don't refer to her at The old Lady in the Shoe."

I'm having a problem wrapping my head around the concept of a UI politics-related twitter account.  Especially if the UI flips out for fear of ever offending any of the candidates.

No comments: