Sunday, September 4, 2011

Comedian Tells "Special Needs" Jokes at Palin Political Event

Roughly 2,000 supporters traveled to Indianola, Iowa, yesterday to hear former Alaska governor Sarah Palin not announce her presidential candidacy.  Palin and her fans were treated to a comedian whose act uses Palin's son Trig and other special needs kids to make fun of liberals :
After commending Palin on raising her son Trig while balancing other responsibilities, (Eric) Golub made the analogy. “For that reason alone, the left should worship Sarah Palin and adopt her as one of their own,” Golub said. “Because the leftist haters are an entire political ideology of special needs children.” Golub continued by saying that liberals are needy and feel entitled. “And unlike Trig, they aren't very lovable,” Golub said. “All you hear from them is give me, give me, I need, I need, I want, I deserve, I’m entitled – no you don’t.”
It's pretty well known that Palin's youngest child Trip is diagnosed with Down syndrome.  Palin and her family have a history of standing up for people with special needs and speaking out against those who would belittle those with developmental disabilities.  That said, Palin failed to address Golub's "special needs" joke, either at or after the event.  Which leaves me wondering if special needs jokes are less inappropriate when they are used by political supporters?

No comments: