Monday, October 3, 2011

Culture War Monday: Social Conservatives Attack Gay Dads

Something must be in the water -- and right now I'm boiling mad.  I was hopping around the Internet during my lunch hour and quickly discovered two separate attacks by social conservatives against gay dads.  Check these out:

First, the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) attacked US Representative Jared Polis and his partner, Marlon Reis, for announcing the impending birth of their new child:


Then I learned that a coalition of Catholic and Evangelical Christian leaders in Honduras are petitioning their government to bar singer Ricky Martin from entering that country because he's a gay dad:
The pop star, who is set to perform in the country on Oct. 16 in the Chochi Sosa stadium in Tegucigalpa, Honduras as part of his Música + Alma + Sexo (MAS) tour, has church leaders scrambling to halt his entrance, reports the Honduran daily El Heraldo. The Minister of Interior of Honduras, Áfrico Madrid, claims that Evangelical and Catholic leaders have solicited that he deny a visa to Martin in order to “protect the moral and ethical principles of our society.”

Madrid claims that the religious leaders particularly object to Martin's non-traditional family. “His nuclear family is not the type of family that Honduran society, and laws, approve of."
Like I wrote before, I'm fuming.  This is why GLBT people don't want anything to do with the Christian church.  This is why people increasingly associate the Christian church and the GOP with anti-gay bigotry.  Both of these groups are despicable.

2 comments:

Flartus said...

I enjoy and appreciate the stories you highlight on your blog. I've been out for about 10 years, and I have to say the only part of it the experience that's been negative has been the isolation from my faith. Living in the south, I'm surrounded in daily life (notably in the office) by references to God and Christ--yet I know that the people referencing them would not welcome me in their church. And the family members who have been most welcoming to my partner are the ones who attend church the least. Go figure.

I've been wanting to comment for a while and just say "Hi, I'm reading." So...hi, I'm reading!

Alison

Jon said...

Thanks for the kind words, Alison! I really appreciate it.

I've been in a bit of a mood all day, so it was good to read your comment. :)