Sunday, October 16, 2011

Hey Big Spender!

My church does this monthly thing where we give the pastor the week off and somebody from the church membership either plans and provides the morning's worship or that somebody brings somebody from outside of the church to provide the morning's worship.  Today was one of those shared ministry weekends and Mark & I were the ones assigned to plan the morning's worship.

This week was also the kick-off of the Stewardship Campaign, so much of Mark's sermon had to do with responsibilities.  Responsibilities to ourselves, to our families, to our jobs, to our church, and even to our government.  Much of the scriptural background surrounded Moses.

My job was to come up with the annual Stewardship Skit.  Basically, something to spark discussion about pledging money for the coming year and discussing why we need to pledge money for the coming year (i.e., Council needs to know the pledged income so that we can draft a budget to pay the bills).  D'Angelo and I enacted a skit where he was a director auditioning for a "Fall Follies" and I was all excited to get my chance to show off some talent.  There was, of course, discussion about pledging and why we pledge; but the skit itself featured my singing talents (or lack thereof).

Have you ever heard "Big Spender" from Sweet Charity?  Imagine it re-worked as a stewardship song.  I did and this is the results:
Hey Big Spender (stewardship skit)

The minute I walked in this joint
I could see this was a church of distinction.
this Faith U C C,
Good lookin’, and refined
Now wouldn’t you like to know
what’s going on in my mind

So let me get right to the point.
I don’t write a check to every church I see.
Hey big spender,
Pledge a little tithe with me.

Wouldn’t you like to have fun, fun, fun?
Wouldn’t you like to help out, out, out?
I can show you the pledge card!
Hey big spender,
hey big spender,
hey big spender
Pledge a little tithe with me!
It was fun and everyone seemed to laugh, though I don't think I'll be getting any professional singing gigs out of my performance.  Hopefully, the Stewardship Campaign will turn out well this year.

Anyway, check out the clip below for a more traditional take on "Big Spender".  Needless to say (though maybe I should say it), I wasn't wearing any outfits like in this clip and I came up with my own choreography:

No comments: