Saturday, October 22, 2011

Weekend Remarks

I know I posted a couple items earlier today, but there were a few other shorter items that I thought I would share before the end of the day:

*Alpha Flight Canceled!: This really blows.  Nearly two months ago, Marvel Comics announced that their Alpha Flight series was doing so great that it was being transformed from an eight-issue limited series to an ongoing comic book series.  Now yesterday, they announced via January solicitations and a few articles that Canada's greatest super team is getting canceled with its eighth issue.  Why did they even bother with the upgrade.  Everyone, myself included, who has loved this series would feel so much better about the series ending if Marvel had just gone with its original plan to end it as an 8 issue mini.  Now the whole thing just feels dirty and us fans feel used and deceived.

*Love Is an Orientation DVD: Practical Ways to Build Bridges with the Gay Community Now Available for Pre-Ordering: I learned yesterday through Twitter that the Marin Foundation's and Andrew Marin's upcoming DVD resource program is now available for pre-order on Amazon.com.  This is the product description for the DVD program:
Much of today's culture defines bridge-building and reconciliation as a one-way street that leads to full theological, political and social agreement. Yet Christ demonstrated a different path of religious and cultural engagement to establish his kingdom here on earth. In light of such countercultural principles, the Christian community needs a new view on the issues that divide conservative believers and the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities. Using the practical applications Andrew Marin has learned over the last decade of living and working in the LGBT neighborhood of Chicago called Boystown, as well as his international speaking and consulting ministry, this six-session, video-based study offers a variety of practical teachings, insights and life lessons. Rather than avoiding the topic of homosexuality, Love Is an Orientation aims to equip the Christian community to bridge the gap between LGBT and religious communities. This is not a group study about 'fixing' gay people. It's about getting to know them, engaging them, and loving them like Jesus does. After this study, you, your small group and your church will know what it means to peacefully and productively build bridges with the LGBT community.
Back in May, I shared that I had the pleasure to step out of my comfort zone and participate in the creation of this LIAO DVD curriculum.  I was nervous that I stumbled with my words too much and did too many body ticks while being filmed.  However, I've seen the rough edit of my segment and I did much better than I feared.  I watched the filming of other segments of the program and am really excited to see how everything comes together.  More on this later!

*Herman Cain Poses with Cy the Cardinal: I'm not a huge fan of GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain, but I don't have a lot against him either.  I will say that I absolutely love this pic that he tweeted earlier today, apparently from Ames, IA.  His message: "Team HC ~ OK. Maybe it's just us but we think these smiles seem similar."  Check out this pic.  It is absolutely great!  Last week, I found a pic of Andrew with a giant chicken and now this weekend Herman Cain is posing with Cy the Cardinal.  I'm really hoping that this becomes a trend every weekend, because these pics never fail to make my day and I love to share them!

No comments: