Thursday, November 24, 2011

NOM's Maggie Gallagher Offers Thanksgiving Day Advice for Debating Gay Marriage

Earlier this week, Maggie Gallagher (normally of the National Organization for Marriage and currently speaking for the Culture War Victory Fund) released a video on "How to Handle the Same-Sex Marriage Debate at Thanksgiving".  Apparently, her supporters want to talk against marriage equality without having to listen to anyone who disagrees with them so Gallagher offered the following talking points:
1. State your position briefly.

2. Refute the charge of bigotry.

3. A call of tolerance.

4. Repeat as necessary... or until they bring in the pie.
As usual, this conversation falls back on Gallagher's assertion that "you are made to feel like a bigot" if you actually have someone disagree with you on the subject of marriage equality. 


Here are my thoughts on her various talking points (watch the vid if you want to hear those talking points expanded upon):

1. Basically, Gallagher says that marriage is supposed to be a union between a man and a woman who, if they choose, can create children.  I would remind Gallagher that a marriage license does not suddenly make men and women fertile and there are same-sex families (like my own) who are raising children and our kids deserve the legal protections of two married parents.

2. Gallagher would then fall back on the suggestion that I've just accused her of bigotry because I reminded her that gay and lesbian people are also parents.  She tries to turn this around and say that it's not bigotry for her to assert that Mark and I are not really married and that our family of nearly 14 years does not deserve the legal rights, responsibilities, and protections of marriage.  I would then remind Gallagher that I never called her a bigot.  It's almost like she's trying to assert her own opinions and then change the subject before anyone else gets a chance to defend themselves.

3. Gallagher would then tell me that I'm not being very tolerant of her moral beliefs on this subject, especially at this time when we're among family.  "And once again, stop calling me a hater and a bigot.  That's mean.  You're words are intolerant, especially when said around family members."  I would then look across the table at my husband and our two sons and remind Gallagher that all three are indeed integral parts of my family.  It's not intolerant of me to stand up for my family and I would expect that most of the people here would be just as likely to stand up for their husbands, wives, and kids.  And then I would tell her to stop accusing me of calling her a bigot.  It's really rude and kind of annoying.

4. Gallagher would then tell me to stop calling her a bigot and demand a slice of pie.  I'd shake my head and go watch the game with my brother and brothers-in-law.

No comments: