Monday, November 21, 2011

"Pregnant Man" Kicks Ass in Tae Kwon Do

I was reading TMZ this morning and noticed one of those "why is this news?" articles.  It was about Thomas Beatie the so-called "Pregnant Man" and his involvement with tae kwon do.  Apparently, Beatie is a black belt and he's really good at sparring.  Check this out:


According to Beatie:
My actions speak louder than the words of people who claim that I'm just a chick. I don't know how many chicks fight dudes and WIN!
Then again, I've been watching guys and girls compete and spar in tae kwon do for a couple years now. In fact, one of the women in my church has her black belt and owns her own TKD studio. It's hard for me to see anyone, regardless of gender, -- especially those who work their way up into the black belt level -- as anything other than bad ass.

Anyway, I saw this TMZ article and it caught my attention for over-lapping reasons.  One, I really like TKD.  Two, I've long been fascinated by Thomas Beatie's unique journey into fatherhood.  Lastly, yesterday was Transgender Day of Remembrance.  TDoR is meant to memorialize those who've been killed as a result of transphobia.  Sadly, too many transgender people become victims of others' hate.  Watching Beatie kick ass hopefully will show that it doesn't have to be that way.  Hi-Ya!

No comments: