Tuesday, November 15, 2011

University of Iowa Police Issued Hawk Alert (or why I had a heck of a time getting to sleep last night!)

I was drifting into slumber last night at around 10:30 PM when my telephone jolted me awake.  I thought maybe Leslie's girlfriend might have forgotten about the time.  Instead, this is what I heard:
This is University of Iowa police chief Chuck Green. Please listen to this important Hawk Alert. Nov. 14, 2011, 10:25 p.m., police are looking for a man reported to have a weapon near campus. Everyone should remain in their rooms until further notice.
I assume I got on the Hawk Alert call-list due to my husband, but the call definitely got me wondering about what was going on in Iowa City. I checked the Twitter feeds on my phone and didn't immediately find out. Eventually, it occurred to me that there are always folks running around Iowa City with weapons and that I would most likely survive this event without incident.

With that thought on my mind, I forced myself back into bed and actually drifted into slumber for a few minutes when, at 11:15 PM I received the following phone call:
HAWK ALERT: Cancel the Hawk Alert. Man with weapon was located," the Tweet stated. A recorded Hawk Alert followed saying, "The threat to campus has ended.
And this call was followed by a third call with an eerie robotic voice. After the third call, I just could not relax. I tossed and turned. I read a chapter of reading material. I pondered my dogs' mortality, which shifted into an inner dialogue about my own mortality. I think I finally fell asleep at around 1:30 AM.

So what happened?  Iowa City Patch reports that someone reported to the police that there was an alleged domestic dispute near the UI dorms and the guy told the girl that he had a gun and planned to use it on himself and on her.  The IC Patch further reported that the man was eventually nabbed by the police (without weapon) and taken into custody.

According to subsequent reports, the UI dorms went on lockdown status during the Hawk Alert and everyone was chased into their dorm rooms:
"Everyone was freaking out. All of a sudden 40 phones are going off," said the student from Glenview, Ill. "I was freaked out."
I'm glad that everything worked out and nobody was hurt.  And I'm pleasantly surprised that I am the recipient of these types of alerts.  Most of my neighbors were unaware of these incidents until they got up and read the morning newspaper.  Then again, most of my neighbors actually got full nights of sleep!  Anyway, hopefully our little city will remain free from future Hawk Alerts.

1 comment:

dany said...

http://www.txtimpact.com/school_university_sms_alerts.asp
School and universities need text alert system to communicate with students and parents.
Hawk Alerts
School Closing
Early Dismissals
School Event Reminders
Security alerts
Strom alerts
Athletic Team Scores & Updates
Internal Group Communication