Sunday, November 13, 2011

Weekend at the Farm

The boys and the dogs and I traveled northward this weekend to spend some time with my mom (Husband Mark had to stay home for work).  It was a pretty quiet visit, mostly hanging out, catching up with my mom, and watching the boys play video games.  We did some other stuff too, like visiting with my grandmother and watching the season premier of Primeval, but mostly we hung out.  Oh, we also made lots and lots of Chex Mix, which turned out very good.

Here are some of the highlights of the weekend:

Going to eat at the Branding Iron tonight. First time in over 20 years.  Often times when visiting, we go out for pizza somewhere on either side of the Minnesota/Iowa border.  A couple weeks back, I got to thinking about a well known restaurant called the Branding Iron.  Its over in Preston, IA, and I don't think I've been there since sometime in high school.  Depending on where you sit, you get a really nice view of Preston.  I ended up ordering the Prime Rib Au Jus.  D'Angelo got the 1/2 chicken and quickly realized that that was a lot of chicken.  Guess what he's having for supper tonight?  It was a pretty tasty meal and the boys had a good time.

This was the best pic I could get with Nero, Ms. Lion, and Sadie.  Herding dogs is more difficult than herding cats!  I worked too hard for too long in an ill-fated attempted to get all three dogs to sit with each other and look up at me.  What you see to the right was my best attempt!  I almost got the right pose once and then Nero shot up and raced into the kitchen.  The dogs actually got along for most of the weekend.  There was only one aborted fight this weekend and it concerned food.  Fortunately, I noticed the rumbling from one of the dogs just in the nick of time and the objectionable food item got whisked away.  I spent a lot of time with the dogs down in the pasture chucking tennis balls and urging the dogs to burn off energy.  Ultimately, Nero was the only one chasing after the balls.  But, let's be honest.  He's the one with the most energy to expend.  The other two just enjoyed sniffing the grass and leaving their marks on the world.  Literally.

THIS is why D' likes coming to the farm: driving the Yamaha (plus Grandma has WiFi for his video games unlike home!): Actually, I was a bit surprised.  Both of my boys always talk about driving Grandma's Yamaha when we're not at the farm and most of the time we drive around in circles.  This time around, both boys got their drive-time in, but neither was as interested as they normally are.  We drove to the cemetery yesterday and went up the road and back this morning, but otherwise very little driving this weekend.  I think they both shifted into the "quality vs. quantity" stage of life, which suits me.

Anyway, we got home a couple hours ago.  The boys have been fed, the laundry has been started, and the dogs have been walked.  Now I'm ready for a quick work-out, a new episode of The Walking Dead, and then a good night's sleep.

No comments: