Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dan Savage Glitter-Bombed for (Among Other Things) Supporting Gay Marriage

I wrote last night about the latest glitter-bomb attack against Dan Savage by activists while speaking this past weekend in Vancouver. However, it wasn't until I was reading Towleroad this morning that I realized Savage was glitter-bombed for, among other reasons, supporting marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples!:
Queer activists have historically used glitter-bombing as a tactic against conservative politicians and high-profile anti-gay bigots, Vancouver protester Lavender Menace notes. Asked if she lumps Savage in with such people, she says people have different ways of contributing to oppressive systems.

"Savage is taking on being a speaker and leader in this movement. We have to take that into account," she adds. "He's part of a broader [group] of gay, white, cis-gendered, able-bodied gay men focused on gay-marriage priorities. We want to say those priorities are messed up."
I'm a white gay man without any disabilities (though my sons both have disabilities) who's primarily focused on marriage issues. Obviously, there are other issues that are important for me but protecting my family and others like it is definitely one of my biggest priorities in life. Granted I'm not a national speaker or leader, but should I be glitter-bombed for being part of the "broader (group) of gay, white, cis-gendered, able-bodied gay men focused on gay-marriage priorities"?

I understand that not all GLBT people want to get married and I understand many of the reasons why. Some see marriage as a source of hetero-conformity. Some see it as an oppressive male-empowering institution. Some see it as a distraction from other just-as-important GLBT priorities. Etc., etc... You might not agree with getting married, but you should have the opportunity to choose whether or not to get married.

Glitter-bombing someone for who they are (i.e., a white, cis-gendered, able-bodied gay man who is committed to legally protecting his family) seems like bad activist to me. And it does nothing but widen divisions between the GLBT communities.

2 comments:

Trey said...

I guess to this person, I'm a right-wing conservative, lol

Jon said...

No doubt!