Thursday, February 2, 2012

All Madison Galluccio Wants is for her Family to be Treated Equally Like Other Families

(source)
Earlier this week, 14-year-old Sarah Crank testified before Maryland's Senate Judicial Proceeding Committee and asked them for a special birthday present: a No-Vote on a marriage equality bill. Lots of people read that blog article and it garnered several comments. It seems only fair to offer an opposing viewpoint. This one is from the 15-year-old daughter of two civilly unionized men who testified before New Jersey's House Judiciary Committee. You really need to hear the emotion behind her words. (Click here for an audio link):
Hello, my name is Madison Galluccio and I am 15-years-old. We are battling marriage equality today, something I definitely intend on winning. We're here because a lot of people think my family is different. And you want to make us feel different, don't you? Because I feel different, because you want us to feel different. You give us a civil union. I don't know what that is. At 15, I try to understand what it is. I don't understand and it's very hard for me to explain to my friends.

It's very hard that I can't tell them, "Oh yeah, I have gay dads and they're married just like your parents." But they're not and you don't give me the right to say that.

I do have to say that New Jersey has made me feel discriminated, like I'm some sort of outcast. But guess what New Jersey, I'm no outcast. I'm Madison Galluccio and I'm part of the Galluccio family. My parents will be married. And I'll make sure that this happens 'til the day that I die.

So please, will you help me? Help me feel equal. We're no different. I'm no different. And I shouldn't have to be forced to feel like I'm different. This is my family. And I want us to be able to have the same rights as you. So New Jersey, please give me my freedom. Thank you.
Galluccio isn't seeking to minimize other families or other children that aren't exactly like her own family. She just wants her own family to be treated like other families within her state. Very powerful testimony.

By the way: New Jersey's marriage equality bill advanced out of committee by a vote of 5-2. We'll see where it goes from there.

No comments: