Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Minnesota Senate Defeats Effort to Ban Medicaid from Paying for Ex-Gay Reparative Therapy

While most state legislatures are doing their best to ban Medicaid from paying for birth control and abortion, Minnesota's Senate rejected an effort to prevent mental health providers from billing Medicaid for ex-gay therapy, despite the ineffectiveness of this treatment. This effort was defeated pretty much along the party line. I'll let you decide if it was the Democratic or the Republican Party that overwhelmingly rejected the use of tax-funded medical dollars to pay for ex-gay therapy:


One of the opponents questioned the bill sponsor's belief that Jesus Christ has the ability to redeem anyone. I never knew that Medicaid funds were needed to access Christ's redeeming power...

Meanwhile, prominent ex-gay researcher, Dr. Robert Spitzer, apologizes to GLBT communities for the flawed science behind ex-gay therapy:
I believe I owe the gay community an apology for my study making unproven claims of the efficacy of reparative therapy. I also apologize to any gay person who wasted time and energy undergoing some form of reparative therapy because they believed that I had proven that reparative therapy works with some ‘highly motivated’ individuals.

No comments: