Friday, April 6, 2012

Zach Wahls and One Iowa Announce Partnership // Plan to Tour Iowa and Speak Out for Gay Marriage

It was announced yesterday that Zach Wahls plans to partner with One Iowa and tour the state of Iowa about why marriage equality matters. Wahls became an Internet sensation last year when he testified (brilliantly, I might add) about being the son of lesbian moms. This is what One Iowa had to say about this new partnership:
This summer 2012, equality advocate, YouTube sensation, and author Zach Wahls will partner with One Iowa, the state’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) advocacy group, to launch a statewide Why Marriage Matters Iowa speaking tour. In August, Wahls will travel to cities and towns across the state with One Iowa to visit supporters at house parties and speak at public engagements to take his message of “love makes a family” to Iowans in every corner of the state. Wahls will also engage with fellow college students on campuses across Iowa in December as part of One Iowa’s “Home for the Holidays” campus outreach program.

My heart is in Iowa and I am committed to protecting marriage equality here in my home state,” said Wahls. “I can only hope that by sharing my story and talking about my family and our values, that I can reach more Iowans and dispel myths about families like mine.”

Wahls is a native Iowan who was raised by his two mothers. Since his powerful and heartfelt testimony before the Iowa State House of Representatives on January 31, 2011, Wahls has been a staunch advocate for fairness for all families. When he declared proudly that "the sexual orientation of my parents has had zero effect on the content of my character,” Wahls solidified his place among the voices of LGBT advocates and has been bringing his message of love and family to audiences around the country. He is also the author of
My Two Moms: Lessons of Love, Strength and What Makes a Family to be published in April 2012.

Zach’s moving speech before the Iowa legislature captured the essence of this issue—love and family. By simply talking about his life, he touched thousands of people and opened both hearts and minds. One Iowa is deeply grateful to have Zach join our Why Marriage Matters Iowa campaign as an ambassador. We are confident that by working together we can have a tremendous impact on preserving the freedom to marry in our state,” said Calla Rongerude, One Iowa Interim Executive Director...

“One Iowa is a great organization that is doing the important work to ensure equality for ALL Iowans. I am proud to work with them to speak to my fellow Iowans in every corner of the state about the importance of equality for my family, and for all families,” continued Wahls. “At the end of the day this is about protecting love and commitment and recognizing the inherent worth and dignity of all Iowans.”
In related news, a video of Wahls telling his story was released by the Family Equality Council yesterday:
An entire generation of children raised by LGBT parents is starting to speak up and tell the truth about their families.
Check it out:


1 comment:

Katy Anders said...

This is pretty great.

I can only hope my kids will look back on our family in such a positive manner...

And if they don't, I hope they don't blame it on their two moms being... moms.