Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"Ain't No Homos Gonna Make It To Heaven"

Check out this website. They highlight a church video of a young kid (probably 3- or 4-years-old) who sings a song to the cheers of his church congregation: "I know the Bible's right, somebody's wrong. I know the Bible's right, somebody's wrong. Romans 1: 26 and 27. Ain't no Homos going to make it to Heaven." (Cue the whoops, hollering, and cheers)

The congregation loved the song so much, they had him perform an encore.

I remember one time my own son (he would've been 4- or 5-years-old at the time) sang "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" at church in honor of the Heifer Project. My church really enjoyed that performance, too:

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
A hippopotamus is all I want
I don't want a dog or rhinoceros
All I want for Christmas is a hippopotamus
And a hippopotamus wants me too

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
A hippopotamus is all I want
I don't want a dog because a dog's such a fuss
All I want for Christmas is a hippopotamus
And a hippopotamus wants me too

I can see me now on Christmas morning
Creeping down the stairs
And because I looked surprise
When I open up my eyes
I see a hippo hero standing there

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
A hippopotamus is all I want
I don't want a dog or a rhinoceros
All I want for Christmas is a hippopotamus
And a hippopotamus wants me too

The first church glorified God by celebrating a song aimed at expelling GLBT people from the Church. The second church honored an organization that seeks to end world hunger. I guess it's a toss-up over which song best captured the essence of Christ.

Which song to you believe best captured Christ's essence?

1 comment:

Jon said...

Anonymous Poster: Thanks for commenting last night, but I am not comfortable publishing your full comment, which included the church pastor's work AND HOME contact information. I will cut and paste the last bit from your original comment, though:

**(H)e is not preaching love and tolerance, but hate that could destroy these young children or those around them.

"But he that shall scandalize one of these little ones that believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be drowned in the depth of the sea." - Matthew 18:6**

Thanks again for commenting, Anonymous.