Saturday, May 19, 2012

"I Know What My Family Is Worth."

Down in Australia, there was a television program featuring various politicians, including an exchange about gay marriage and gay parenting between Finance Minister Penny Wong and shadow treasurer Joe Hockey:
Prompted by an audience question about why the shadow treasurer thinks he and his wife make better parents than the Finance Minister and her female partner, the segment ends with Wong quietly but firmly declaring: "I know what my family is worth"...

Wong and her office were overwhelmed by calls and messages of support immediately after her Q&A appearance and that the messages continued into the week – a rare occurrence as the Finance Minister does not seek to campaign publicly on the gay marriage issue.

But Wong was not expecting such a personal question on Monday night – as is clear from her look of surprise and intake of breath when the question was asked. And then from her off-the-cuff response to Hockey's answer.

The shadow treasurer certainly squirmed under the spotlight of live national TV. "I must confess my views have changed since I've had children", he said. "I think in this life we've got to aspire to give our children what I believe is the very best circumstances, and that's to have a mother and a father.''

In response, Wong began with: ''Well, there's almost nothing I can say. When you say those things, Joe, what you're saying to not just me but people like me is that the most important thing in our lives, which is the people we love, is somehow less good, less valued,'' she said.

Wong went on to acknowledge that comments like Hockey's were hurtful, but concluded by saying: "I know what my family is worth.''
blockquote> Good for Wong. I grow weary of people who say that gay parents are worth less than straight parents with qualifiers like "I'm not saying gay parents are worse than straight parents". Which is it? Regardless, high praises to Penny Wong for standing up for her family is firm dignity.

You can check out the clip here:

No comments: