Sunday, May 27, 2012

Is Alan Scott (AKA Earth 2 Green Lantern) DC's Newly Gay/Ex-Het Hero?

I wrote a couple days back about the group, One Million Moms, and their recent complaints over Marvel Comics' gay wedding planned for next month's Astonishing X-Men #51. OMM is also upset over recent editorial announcements that DC Comics -- as part of their company-wide reboot -- will reintroduce one of their previously established heterosexual male iconic characters as a gay man.

I have not written much about this topic. I haven't read pretty much any DC Comics in a few years. I got hooked in the late 90s following another company reboot. But I grew tired of company-wide events that totally shook up everything. It got to be too much for me to keep up with so I bailed and stuck with Marvel Comics (and more recently Archie Comics!!!).

I stayed out of the speculation about who was being rebooted as gay because I have no idea who has already shown up this year during DC's initial comic book re-launches. Most of DC's biggest male icons -- Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Hal Jordan, Flash -- have already been relaunched, so I figured the gay man would be one of DC's Golden Age (i.e., World War II) characters who inspired many of their later characters like Flash and Green Lantern.

Looks like I was correct with my theory, assuming this latest batch of comic book gossip is correct. According to sources close to Bleeding Cool Comics, DC's newly gay character will be Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern!

Green Lantern was apparently introduced (out of costume) in DC's new book, Earth 2. I know nothing of the book, though I presume it's about an alternate reality and features all of DC Comics' old Justice Society super-heroes. Time will tell if Bleeding Cool Comics' source has it right!

No comments: