Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Marvel's Northstar Getting Gay Married!

A couple months back, I wrote about some promotional material announcing the secret wedding of at least one X-Man in Astonishing X-Men #51. It was pretty clear that Northstar, Marvel Comics' premier gay mutant, was going to marry his long-time boyfriend Kyle Jinadu. Today we learned that Jean-Paul proposed to Kyle!



I originally thought about coming up with 51 thoughts about Northstar's engagement and wedding and the hubbub surrounding it, but that quickly seemed like too lofty a goal. Here are some of my initial thoughts:

* I really like Northstar's tux -- particularly that little star symbol on his lapel.

* It was interesting reading Comic Book Resources (CBR)'s interview with Astonishing X-Men creative team Axel Alonso, Marjorie Liu, and Mike Perkins. They mention that wedding invitations will be sent out to all of the X-Men characters, even though there's currently a schism between mutants linked to Wolverine versus Cyclops. I see from the lay-out pic that several members of Team Cyclops break ranks to attend the wedding: notably Storm, Dazzler, Psylocke, Dr. Nemesis, No-Girl, and Mercury. I'm assuming there may be more in attendance. It's interesting that Madison Jeffries (AKA Box II) isn't featured in the wedding picture given his ties to Alpha Flight. And it's kind of surprising that there aren't more Team Cyclops members at the wedding.

* Astonishing X-Men writer Marjorie Liu noted that at least one of the X-Men chose to avoid Northstar's wedding due to "cultural reasons". Given that she's the only member of Northstar's current match of X-Men not featured in the wedding pic, I'm assuming that this abstainer is Dr. Cecilia Reyes. I assume that she's Catholic, but it's still kind of a jolt that she wouldn't attend the wedding. She doesn't strike me as someone who would avoid a gay wedding as opposed to Wolverine's young African mutant, Indie.

* I'm glad to see that Psylocke attends, but ninja formal outfits are kind of tacky at weddings, don't you think?

* I really hate it when people complain that comic books are meant for big battles and not about mundane life events like weddings -- especially when it's gay characters living social lives. I don't remember complaints of "why can't the Avengers pound on Skrulls like they did in the old days" when Cyclops married Jean Grey. The fact is that comic books are filled with love stories. Or am I imagining Mary Jane Watson and Gwen Stacy and Lois Lane and all of the dozens of comic book love triangles published regularly by Marvel, DC, Archie Comics, etc?

* I also hate it when people who haven't picked up a comic book in years complain about the state of comic books today.

* I'm really glad that Northstar's best gal pal, Dazzler, will be at the wedding. Marvel has plans (for some reason) to send her dimension-hopping in their new series, X-Treme X-Men. Given that she and he were pretty tight back before Marvel's most recent Alpha Flight series, it would be a shame if she missed the nuptials. (Now if only someone could get her a new costume!!!)

* I'm super-psyched to see the main members of Alpha Flight at the wedding! Canada's greatest super team had one of their best story lines recently. It's too bad that their book got canceled. Still, it's good to see them all together and celebrating the wedding of their resident speedster. Northstar's twin sister Aurora looks pretty in her dress. I'm hoping that her alternate personality, Jeanne-Marie, doesn't assert herself and cause problems at the wedding. That wouldn't be too cool.

Anywho, I'll be picking up Astonishing X-Men #50 (the engagement issue) tomorrow so I might have more thoughts to share. I'll definitely have lots to crow about next month when I purchase issue #51 (the wedding issue). Enjoy!

No comments: