Friday, May 4, 2012

Pastor Ken Hutcherson: "I am the Gayest Man I Know!" // Taking Back the Gay

Evangelical pastor Dr. Ken Hutcherson has always been obsessed with gay people. I haven't written much about him, but he's often quoted -- especially by Washington-based blogs and papers -- whenever legislation regarding LGBT people comes forward. Among other things, he's one of those "taking back the rainbow from the gays" people, which still makes me laugh since the rainbow is colored light that nobody owns but that we can all share. But Hutch isn't content with just "taking the rainbow back from the gays". He wants to take the "gay" back from the gays!:
Dr. Ken Hutcherson, the pastor of Antioch Baptist Church in Redmond, Wash., posted an announcement earlier this week that many close to him – including his wife – have known for years. Hutcherson revealed that he is the "gayest man I know."
He later explained:
Hutcherson is not a homosexual, nor does the happily married man have a same-sex attraction of any kind. He is, however, on a mission to take back words, phrases and symbols he believes groups, such as homosexual activists and other liberal organizations, have "hijacked" from the American lexicon...

"My frustration is that some groups have taken words and symbols away from the Church and from society in general. When I say I'm 'gay,' what I mean is that I am happy, that I am joyful and that I love people. That is precisely what a Christian ought to be so in my opinion we just need to be as gay as we can..."

Hutcherson also indicated this wouldn't be his last attempt in fighting to take back words that have been stolen from Christians, and said addressing tolerance will be a priority in the coming weeks.

"We're fighting hard to protect our society but I'd rather be preaching the Gospel than handling many of the others issues," he explained. "But, if I need to I will. I'm not going to back down from reclaiming what the Gospel says to me – it calls us to be 'gay.'"
Keep in mind that the word "gay" carried an "overall tinge of promiscuity -- a 'gay house' was a brothel" back in its earlier usages. But if that is what Hutch wants to say about himself, who am I to disagree with him?

Once again, Hutch can describe himself as he pleases. I can do the same. The difference, of course, is that Hutch doesn't want gay men like myself to call ourselves gay (for whatever reasons). I don't care if he calls himself gay or not.

1 comment:

Katy Anders said...

You know... I believe that these folks like Hutcherson and NOM think about homosexuality more than I do.

And I don't think about it at all in my professional life, whereas his appears to involve it quite frequently.

But hey... If he wants to challenge conventions by flying a rainbow flag over his church, I say he ought to go for it!