Saturday, June 16, 2012

Karger Ending His GOP Presidential Campaign

I knew it had to happen eventually, but I'm still kind of sad. Fred Karger will be ending his Republican presidential campaign next week:
Karger has devoted more than two years and close to $500,000 of his own money in his quest for the White House. The nation's first openly gay presidential candidate won zero delegates, but Karger said he had no regrets.

When asked by The Los Angeles Times whether the effort was worth the time and money, he responded: “Absolutely! Without a doubt!”

“This is money I would have spent anyway,” he explained. “Instead of going maybe to Australia for a vacation, I went to Des Moines 15 times. It was money well spent. The response, the emails I've gotten have been very, very moving and supportive.”

Before jumping into the race, Karger, who worked as a Republican adviser for 30 years, was best known for forming Californians Against Hate, the first group to protest against large donors to the campaign to approve Proposition 8, California's gay marriage ban.

In an e-mail to On Top Magazine, Karger confirmed that he would bow out of the race on June 27th, the day after the Utah primary.
He goes on to say that he plans to return to GLBT activism after his campaign ends.

Like I wrote earlier, this kind of makes me sad. I agreed with Karger on many of his campaign positions, particularly on social issues. Of course, those same campaign positions pretty much made him unelectable in today's GOP.

Karger felt that the time and money spent on his presidential campaign were well worth it. Who am I to argue with the man. I wish him well with his future endeavors.

No comments: