Thursday, June 21, 2012

Northstar and Kyle Got Married!!! Here's What I Thought

Last month, I wrote about Astonishing X-Men #50, which featured -- among other things -- Northstar's proposal to his long-time boyfriend Kyle Jinadu. Last issue, Kyle turned Jean-Paul down. As predicted, he changed his mind early this issue and Marvel Comics' first gay wedding went on without much of a hitch (if you don't count Karma's disappearance and Wolverine's exploding gut).

I thought I should check out Northstar and Kyle's wedding issue in Astonishing X-Men #51 and make a few observations:


This is one for the Alpha Flight fans out there. What happened to "Squatch Smash!"??? Last time I saw him -- and this has been continued in his subsequent appearance in the Red Hulk's comic -- Sasquatch was all big and bestial. His dialogue seems back to normal. Continuity glitch or vision of some out-of-sync spoiler?


In an interview last month, Astonishing X-Men writer Marjorie Liu noted that at least one of Northstar's team members would not be at the wedding due to "cultural differences". I assumed she was referencing one of the Catholic X-Men, Dr. Cecillia Reyes -- solely because she wasn't on the cover. But I was wrong. Alien bodyguard Warbird opted out of the wedding because it would be a lie for her to attend. The ceremony means nothing to her.

Couple thoughts: How tacky is it to come to someone's wedding just to tell them you can't come to their wedding? Show some tact and bow out at least a day or two before the event.

Secondly, Northstar should be thanking Warbird for skipping the wedding. I don't know how they do weddings in Shi'ar Space, but open-breasted battle suits are kind of tacky for wedding attire.

Lastly, I hope Northstar isn't torn up over this. He and she have shared one mission together. They barely know each other. If he wants to be upset over conspicuous absences, how about Heather Hudson, Talisman, Madison Jeffries and most of his former Alpha and Beta Flight team members???


Jean-Paul's sister Jeanne-Marie's (AKA Aurora's) gift (something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue) was extremely sweet. I wanted to give her a big hug myself!


I really hate that Marvel turned Jubilee into a vampire. I think it's one of the worst things they ever did. That said, do tree leaves block out sunlight enough to protect vampires from their final death?


This exchange between Alpha Flight's Puck and X-Factor's Havok makes me wonder if straight guys often talk about the weirdness of being at gay weddings when they attend gay weddings? Oh, and Havok? What would your parents think about the time that you were a member of that terrorist group known as the Brotherhood? Just wondering...

Sorry for being snarky, but Puck recently ruled Hell itself. Havok just returned from months of exile in deep space fighting wicked aliens. Individually, they have both come across mutants, villains, demons, aliens, gods, vampires, zombies, government assassins, and traitors. But Northstar's gay wedding is a lot to take in?


I love Beast. He's one of my all-time favorite X-Men. He just strikes me as an odd choice for a wedding officiant. Especially wearing a stole. He's never struck me as religious.


The wedding vows were sweet. In the tradition of Kevin Keller's and Clay Walker's wedding, I thought it would be fun to share:
Pastor Beast: Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here in this beautiful place to witness the joining of Kyle Jinadu and Jean-Paul Beaubier in marriage. An intimate union which only love can create. Kyle? Jean-Paul? This is your moment to speak from the heart, and seal your commitment.
Jean-Paul: Kyle, I know how precious life is. And how fleeting.
Kyle: And I know what a gift it is to have someone to share that life with.
Jean-Paul: I will never take that for granted. I promise you that.
Kyle: I promise to love you in good times and bad.
Jean-Paul: I promise to cherish you.
Kyle: I promise to inspire you.
Jean-Paul: I promise to be your home.
Pastor Beast: Kyle and Jean-Paul... Do you vow to give yourselves to each other, with love and compassion, and trust?
Kyle: I do.
Jean-Paul: I do.
Pastor Beast: Then I pronounce you husbands, and partners for life. You may kiss the groom. Both of you!
The newlyweds the floated in the sky and sealed their wedding vows with a kiss.

There was a party and there were some other plot issues not dealing directly with Northstar or the wedding, but I won't go into them here in this post.

One last thing before I go. I wrote last Thursday about different gay comic book fans who planned to get married this past Tuesday or renew their vows on the day that Astonishing X-Men #51 got released. I've included a pic of one of these weddings, particularly Scott Evenhart and Jason Welker of Columbus, OH, who got married at Midtown Comics Downtown! According to this article, the new grooms met online and had one of their first dates at the 2011 Free Comic Book Day! What an adorable couple! Congrats guys!!!

No comments: