Sunday, September 21, 2014

Monkey Madness Comes to Riverdale in ARCHIE #659!

I just got finished reading one of the wildest issues of ARCHIE in quite some time! ARCHIE #659 is a crazy issue. It's premise is simple. Salem casts a spell on a lion with the intent of transforming him into a man. It was poker night and the lion needed some camouflage! Unfortunately, the spell ran wide and the five Riverdale Gang got caught up, instantly transforming them into various wild animals!


But that's not all! Anytime any of the animals get near any people, those bystanders get magically transformed into animals also! It's like an animistic version of "28 Days Later" -- except with less blood, gore, or death!


What follows is 20 pages of humorous chaos -- Archie Comics at its best. It doesn't waste any time laying the foundations for this tale. Salem casts a spell on page two. Animals run amok beginning on page four. Sabrina fixes things on the last page. Perfection!

Here are some of my favorites:

Jughead scrounging for food at the mall and creating a stampede!


Mr. Weatherbee as a hippo throwing a tantrum!


Sabrina finally grasping a concept that I'd realized years ago!


This issue was so much fun. You really need to go out and get it!

"Walk on the Wild Side!" is written by Alex Segura, penciled by Pat & Tim Kennedy, inked by Rick Koslowski, and lettered by Jack Morelli.

6 comments:

spazaru said...

It's on the way to me in the mail. I love Alex Segura's stories so far. I liked the KISS one, the Occupy one and now this one looks like it's going to be good. I hope he writes some more soon.

Donny Jacobs said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it's getting hard to find Archie Comics anymore in Kansas City. I don't think the last issue of Kevin Keller was even ordered by Barnes and Noble.

Jon said...

Fortunately Iowa City has a couple shops who do pull-lists, but I know other shoos don't do that -- if indeed there's a shop in that town!

Jon said...

BTW, I'm living your Miss Fang!

Also, I should be reviewing the final Kevin Keller tonight or tomorrow, depending on my energy levels.

Jon said...

And by "living," I mean "loving."

Donny Jacobs said...

Jon,

Miss Fang just leapt out of my drawing pen. I had no idea Carmen Serna was going to have an evil pet Rottweiler. But she does!