Halloween is just around the corner, which means that fans of Archie Comics' various comic book digests get to look forward to a month or so Halloween-themed short stories! I've heard Jonathan from Riverdale Podcast comment on more than one occasion that he LOVES Archie Comics' Christmas stories. I'm all about Halloween!
The first Halloween story of 2015 debuts this week in WORLD OF ARCHIE COMICS DOUBLE DIGEST #52! It's a short story titled "Scary, Scary Dooo!" featuring scripting by Alex Simmons, pencils by Pat & Tim Kennedy, inks by Jim Amash, letters by Jack Morelli, and colors by Digikore Studios.
Here are five things that I enjoyed about "Scary, Scary Dooo!":
1. Archie Or Scooby??: This is obviously -- at least visually -- an homage to the Scooby-Gang. We have the handsome hero. We have the pretty blonde. We have the smart-yet-unattractive girl. We have the goofy guy who can't stop eating. And we have the dog. And I love it! I've always been a fan of Scooby-Doo. The more reminders of his greatness, the better!
2. Get Ready to Par-Tay!: Archie and the Gang were invited to a costume party in downtown Riverdale by Veronica, via evite. However, the scene of the party is pretty weird. It's filled with food -- and tons of dolls and manequins. Interestingly, there are doll versions of Jughead at this party. We even find an Archie and a Super Duck doll later on in the story. But no people. What's up with that??
3. How Many Licensed Properties Can We Mimic??: Very quickly, the lights click off. They click back on and our heroes find themselves surrounded by all sorts of walking dolls! And none of them look friendly!! But check them out! Not only do we have generic creatures, like the Frankenstein Monster. But we also have the Simpsons and Spongebob Squarepants and Spock and Batman! Or killer dolls that look vaguely similar to those guys!
4. Cue the Chase Music!: If this was a cartoon, this would be when the Davie Jones music starts up! Or would it be the Archies, in this situation?? Will our heroes survive?
5. Cue the Villain!: We finally discover the composer of this creepy chase! It turns out that it was a massive prank -- aimed at making fools of Archie and this Gang! Who do you suppose is behind this elaborate ruse? I promise you! Archie ain't at all happy!
Ultimately, there are two pranksters in this piece! You will need to grab your copy of WORLD OF ARCHIE COMICS DOUBLE DIGEST #52 -- complete with great classic reprints featuring Archie, Fred Andrews, Ginger Snapp, Reggie, and Bats! -- to find out the identity of our trickster.. as well as the trickster's trickster!