Monday, December 12, 2016

Archie Comics Launching New LITTLE ARCHIE Series? // Updated Below: More New Titles Coming in March 2017? // New Update: Archie Comics to Publish Four One-Shot Comic Books in March 2017! Which Is Your Fave??

(Originally written on 12/08/16): Archie Comics dropped the following image onto its Facebook age earlier today:

The implication is that Art Baltazar and Franco, the comic book creators behinds "Tiny Titans" and "Itty Bitty Hellboy," will be working on a new title for Archie Comics, featuring Little Archie and Friends!

I'm sure that more information will be forthcoming. But March 2017 should be a fun month!

Updated on 12/09/16: More images have been popping up today on Archie Comics' social media sources. I was over on Facbook tonight and noticed more images related to March 2017, including...

This!

New "Sabrina" Series?
And... This!

New "Archies" Series?
And... This!

New "Vampironica" Series? New "Vampire Josie & the Pussycats" Series? New "Someone's a Werewolf" Series???
Basically, I'm left guessing when it comes to that last one. But I'm pretty excited if Archie Comics is trying to do something new (and regularly scheduled) with its Archie Horror imprint. And I'm all about new books featuring the Riverdale Gang!

Updated on 12/12/16: Archie Comics announced today that they will be publishing four new one-shot comic books in March 2017 based on the images listed above. Those comic books will include:

* JUGHEAD: THE HUNGER (written by Frank Tieri and illustrated by Michael Walsh) which will explore "the dark secret behind the insatiable hunger of Archie's best friend." Jughead as a werewolf? That's what I'm thinking. I was originally thinking Zombie Hot Dog, but I don't think that's it.


* THE ARCHIES (written by Alex Segura & Matthew Rosenberg and art by Joe Eisma). This will focus on "Archie's pursuit of musical stardom, and how that affects his friends." This is the book that I'm looking forward to the most. It sounds interesting and I really enjoy Joe Eisma's artwork!


* LITTLE ARCHIES (written and illustrated by Art Baltazar and co-written by Franco). I've been told that these guys already did some one-shots featuring Little Archie & Friends and I've been assured that they are very good. I'll likely pick it up, but it's a little too cartoony for me. But I'm open to being wowed!



* SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH (written by Katie Cook & Franco with art by Andy Price). It's about Sabrina's first day at public school after a lifetime of homeschooling by her crazy aunts. Presumably not following the continuity of CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA, but is this the Sabrina appearing in the current JUGHEAD/New Riverdale series?


Archie Comics co-CEO Jon Goldwater indicated in a statement that one or more of these one-shots could become an ongoing comic book series if there is enough interest from the readership:
“These new launches give readers a wider lens with which to see the Archie characters and concepts,” Archie Comics CEO Jon Goldwater said in a statement. “I think of it as a very ambitious and top-line pilot season that showcases the successful and acclaimed New Riverdale sensibility. If these books resonate, fans might just see them greenlit as regular series.”
Which of these one-shot titles is number one on your list?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw it too on Facebook & twitter but I miss the original Little Archie.
BettyReggie

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about anything that Joe Eisma does. He's awesome.
BettyReggie